Skip to main content

Mama Makes Halloween - Part One

I feel like I've probably set the bar a bit high with my sweet pea's first Halloween, but I couldn't help myself.  I made her two costumes (well, one and a half) for two different Halloween events:

 Princess Leia for a neighborhood party, Reptar for trick-or-treating

I say "one and a half" because I already had the Princess Leia hat/wig - it was a baby shower gift from my cousin Erin - so I only had to make the dress and belt.  It was a very last-minute, because the neighborhood party was in two days and I needed to get more fabric for the Reptar costume.  So the dress was very quick-and-dirty.


I made a slight miscalculation when I cut out the dress, so I had to add a panel in the back to add more room.


I made it up so quickly that I didn't really take any in-progress photos, other than this mirror selfie of me trying out the hood piece on my sweet pea over the hair:


The dress was so simple - just a t-shape with some flare to the skirt and sleeves, and the hood was just a strip of fabric sandwiched in between the neck opening and the collar.  I hemmed the front edge of the hood, the sleeves, and the skirt hem by hand as that seemed easier than hemming stretch fabric on the machine.

Front

Back

I made the belt in about five minutes, pretty much on the way out of the door.  It's cardboard from a box of crackers, tinfoil with the shiny side in, and Scotch tape.


I used more Scotch tape to attach the two ends around her middle.



I got a few shots of her wearing her costume at the October 20th party:





And today we did a quick photoshoot with her and her Daddy's R2-D2, just because:



We tried really hard to get a non-blurry shot of her "standing" next to R2, and we did get a few decent ones.  She can't stand on her own yet, so all things considered I think she did an excellent job! 







Ok, that's enough picture-taking, Mom and Dad! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mama Makes Halloween - Part Two

I split this post in two because it was getting rather long with both costumes.  For Part One, click here:  Princess Leia Reptar was a bit more involved. I started with this pattern: Which proved to be a good base to start with.  The first change I made was to use flannel instead of polar fleece, partly because I prefer natural fibers when sewing (especially for my baby) and partly because I found a remnant of cotton flannel in the right color without even trying. I did end up having to go back to JoAnn's a total of four times for more fabric - twice because I forgot to bring a swatch with me to match the color (there were two dye lots of the same green flannel) and once because I had miscalculated how much additional fabric I needed.  Oh, and then again to get the right color of invisible zipper.   But it was quite a fun costume to put together!   My inspiration I did not want a contrasting center front section like the pattern called for, so I com

Easy Breezy Baby Dress

My little sweet pea was already two months old before I got around to sewing her any clothes, and now she's three months old before I'm getting around to blogging about it!  (I did crochet a little dress for her before she was born, but she outgrew it before she was four days old.)  My sister Elise did make her a dress that I loved, though: Elise also made her headband.  Isn't it cute? These pictures are from July 2, when she was three weeks old.  I loved the dress for its ease of getting on and off of her, and of course the cuteness factor.  The pattern Elise used is Simplicity 1794. She let me borrow the pattern, but it turns out some of the pieces are missing!  My guess is she has them pinned to fabric for another dress somewhere in a pile of projects.  I've done the same thing.  So I went to JoAnn's to buy my own, but it was out of stock.  No problem, I can reverse-engineer the pattern from the finished dress!  So that's exactly what I did.